Sunday April 20 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fuel Stops

Fuel Stops 4 years 7 months ago #1

I owned an 88 Max, and like a jerk, gave it to my son. Now thinking of purchasing an 09. One thing bothers me a bit, and perhaps you current owners can give some input.

The specs indicate 27 mpg average. It is not the cost so much as the number of fuel stops that concern me. If the tank is only 4 gallons, it seems you just get going, and have to stop every 100 miles or so just for fuel. Is this the case.
  • tkinroa
  • Fresh Max
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fuel Stops 4 years 7 months ago #2

In a word, YES! 75 to 80 miles, the fuel light comes on and the reserve changes the display to miles since light came on so you can see exactly how far you have gone till you run out. The good part is, you won't care at all.
  • wjzwiss
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 61

Re:Fuel Stops 4 years 7 months ago #3

Yes...discussed many times on this forum. Most members don't seem to care a whole lot. I like the frequent stops...a chance to take a brief break from abusing all that torque, let the rear tire cool down, and give an opportunity get frequent stares at the pump!!!
  • DrewMax
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 208

Re: Fuel Stops 4 years 7 months ago #4

I have two Maxes. A 2004, which gets good mileage of 120 miles before reserve and a 2009 that gets me 100 miles before reserve. If you knew the power of the 09, you would not even hesitate a decision on mileage. The 100 miles before reserve on the 2009 was yesterday with two-up. I'm happy with the mileage and the power of the beast.

If you want good mileage, get a slower bike BUT if you want great acceleration, the 09 is your only choice. It's a bike for those that crave POWER, and for now, the 09 Max is the only game in town in the HP and TORQUE arena.

It's a "NO" brainer!!!!!!!!!!
  • mikemax04
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 76

Re: Fuel Stops 4 years 7 months ago #5

Yep, the mileage sucks. You make horsepower, you have to feed it.

With that said, BUY IT AND DON'T LOOK BACK! If you love HP, you'll love this bike and the 20 mile reduction of range will be long forgotten once you twist that throttle.
  • flatlander
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 5

Re:Fuel Stops 4 years 7 months ago #6

I've gotten the comment "you have to stop soo often since you don't go very far on a tank"

Yea, I stop......then beat the snot out of that pedal pusher skateboard of a bike you ride. "Where's the next gas station! I'll be there waiting for you!"

:rotflmao:
  • sfcrick
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 41

Re:Fuel Stops 4 years 7 months ago #7

Personally, I didn't mind the stops. Riding in the winter, it gave my fingers a chance to thaw a bit. And to get the occasional "What the heck is that thing?"
  • medic981
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 354

Re:Fuel Stops 4 years 7 months ago #8

Best i've got is 94 but I did not buy this bike for its fuel range,I bought it for its POWER and EXCELLERATION plus all the fuel stops lets me repass all the bikes I overtook earlier.. :yeah:
  • Kenko
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 78
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook