Sunday April 20 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Thinking about selling the vmax

Thinking about selling the vmax 2 years 3 months ago #1

I'm thinking about selling my Vmax so I can purchase another bike. I want something I could use with my mates in the twisties and take a pillion with the wife for weekend trips. The main bike I have been looking at is the BMW K1600GT. I have also looked at the Kawaski Concours and ZX-14, Ducati Multistrada 1200 and Diavel. Are there any other bikes I should look at too?

I love my Vmax but the mileage is killing me when I ride with my mates. I average about 90 miles a tank. There are some rides I cannot ride with my mates because there are no gas stations for 110 miles. Have any of you added the larger tank?

I have thought about buying an older bike and keeping the Vmax too. I found a cheap Rocket 3 but don't know how well that will do in the twisties. The last bike I've found was a BMW K1200R Sport. The only problem is I don't know if I have room for two bikes!

Thanks for any input. I'm having a tough time deciding if I'm making the right choice. My Vmax was the Evoluzione project bike so I know its one of a kind and would be $$$ to replace in the future.
  • voodue
  • Fresh Max
  • Thank you received: 8
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Thinking about selling the vmax 2 years 3 months ago #2

I don't know what kind of mpg you get out of but I would go with the Diavel.. good luck!

and he put together a nice bike u have.. post up some pics :photo:
  • Qtip
  • Platinum Max
  • What ever!
  • Thank you received: 1767
I'm right here..REALLY!!
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Qtip.

Re: Thinking about selling the vmax 2 years 3 months ago #3

Well if you like the Torque of the Max the 6 Cylinder BMW is a good choice I rode a friends GT and was very impressed
it is very fast for a big bike he has the one with the saddle bags not the full out Tourer so it's sporty and the bags come off and it still looks good , Has all the gadgets like traction control and headlights that actually adjust to the turns like looking
around the turn and it's has a nice passenger setup.

I have made prob about a dozen Accessorie gas tanks for the max they fit on the Factory luggage rack and add 1.7 gallons

I take mine on and off as needed when I ride with fellow maxers I dont need it but my main riding buddy has a much better range and install it then.
IMG_6247_2011-12-22.JPG

This is recent pic of my tank , That and A Corbin rear seat with slip in backrest and the passenger footpeg extensions

would be a whole lot cheaper than buying another Bike the big Beemer is rather pricey

[

And you get to keep the Missile.
  • capt bob
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 1739

Re: Thinking about selling the vmax 2 years 3 months ago #4

The 4 bikes you named are all great bikes.....but only the Beemer and the Kawi fit what I THINK you are looking for. They would both be pretty capable going through the twisties, have good power and would be comfortable 2 up. The Ducatis are 2 different classes of bike, both great bikes but I would not consider them good 2 up bikes at all.

The Rocket is a not a good handler, much less capable than the VMax. It is a fairly comfortable cruiser/tourer however.

The Beemer K1200R I don't know much about......other than that I spanked one badly on my VMax. :) I'm not sure it's real good 2 up.

You might consider the FJR, it fits what you are looking for.....if you ride one you will like it.
  • itgoes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 2936
Mark B

"The Future Is Unwritten"

Re: Thinking about selling the vmax 2 years 3 months ago #5

itgoes wrote:
The 4 bikes you named are all great bikes.....but only the Beemer and the Kawi fit what I THINK you are looking for. They would both be pretty capable going through the twisties, have good power and would be comfortable 2 up. The Ducatis are 2 different classes of bike, both great bikes but I would not consider them good 2 up bikes at all.

The Rocket is a not a good handler, much less capable than the VMax. It is a fairly comfortable cruiser/tourer however.

The Beemer K1200R I don't know much about......other than that I spanked one badly on my VMax. :) I'm not sure it's real good 2 up.

You might consider the FJR, it fits what you are looking for.....if you ride one you will like it.

the 14R would make the ultimate sport touring mount with the right set up if you don't mind chain drive.
  • greenslime
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 322

Re: Thinking about selling the vmax 2 years 3 months ago #6

I'd own the Contour 1400. Test rode it & it's a fine sport tour.

I enjoy dual sport riding & even the bigger adventure bikes like the new Yamaha Super Tenere. :photo:
  • NY-Vmax-Joe
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 445
The following user(s) said Thank You: VMaxChuck, Qtip, docrok

Re: Thinking about selling the vmax 2 years 3 months ago #7

capt bob wrote:
Well if you like the Torque of the Max the 6 Cylinder BMW is a good choice I rode a friends GT and was very impressed
it is very fast for a big bike he has the one with the saddle bags not the full out Tourer so it's sporty and the bags come off and it still looks good , Has all the gadgets like traction control and headlights that actually adjust to the turns like looking
around the turn and it's has a nice passenger setup.

I have made prob about a dozen Accessorie gas tanks for the max they fit on the Factory luggage rack and add 1.7 gallons

I take mine on and off as needed when I ride with fellow maxers I dont need it but my main riding buddy has a much better range and install it then.
IMG_6247_2011-12-22.JPG

This is recent pic of my tank , That and A Corbin rear seat with slip in backrest and the passenger footpeg extensions

would be a whole lot cheaper than buying another Bike the big Beemer is rather pricey

[

And you get to keep the Missile.

I love that setup you have for the tank! What tank is that and was it difficult to attach it to the fuel tank? Also I thought the k1600gt was a cow but when comparing it to the Vmax its only 18 pounds heavier! Wet weight is 703 to 685 for the Vmax. I thought about the FJR because there are some nice used ones for sale by me. The payment for the K1600Gt is $72 more and 18 months longer than I have now which equals $9756 more. (for the total of the loan) Wow! That's the first time I looked at the numbers like that! At that amount I could keep the Vmax and buy used Concours or FRJ for $8500. I think the best thing maybe to add a tank! hahaha

I've ridden the BMW K1600GTl, K1200R, S1000RR, Triumph Rocket 3, Ducati Diavel and Harley Street Bob and Fat Bob trying to cross shop. The S1000rr was just there so I decided to see what the fuss was about. The only thing that had me giggling was the Rocket 3. There is nothing like it. The Vmax doesn't come close to the torque sensation of your arms being pulled from out of there sockets. The S1000rr was mind bending in the upper ranges. I did a quarter mile run on a open stretch of road and still don't remember the last 3/4 of the quarter. Time warped...I definitely want to go back to that road with the Vmax.

I rode the Diavel and the engine was choppy. The power would just come after a delay from a stop. The throttle response was twitchy for me. My Vmax has a throttle controller so I was not used to it at first. The turn in was like a sport bike. The bike felt like it wanted to dive. It was nice hanging off the side doing 80 on some fast sweepers. The ride was nice but the Diavel is fugly to me. Great ride but I want to put a bag over it in the garage and would be embarrassed to show my mates. I feel like I would have to sneak it out on the side and go to some secluded dark place!

The K1600GTL felt like I could ride to New York and back in 4 days. It was just comfy doing 90+ with no care in the world. The only thing I did not like was it felt front heavy at a stop. I could feel that 6 cylinder engine under my hands. But it was nice in the twisties. The bike turned easier that the Vmax. Which I think may have something to do with the 240 on the rear.

The Harleys were nice to parade on but I was missing the power. When I went to pass it took too long for me. I don't know why the Harley guys think their bikes have any power or torque. I keep asking for more and was turned downed. The vibes felt good and I know I looked good but it was all show and no go. The thing that scared me was the brakes! Damn, I had to plan way ahead for my stops. Thank god nothing jumped out in front of me because I would have run it over. I'm so used to the slipper clutch I keep having wheel hop on the down shifts. I think it was good for me though because it improved my riding. Nothing like 100 year old tech to make you thankful for progress. If a Harley ever had traction control I would pass out from shock. (Must say I did love how I looked though!)

The K1200R was kind of everything if been looking for. It is a jack of all trades but doesn't stand out. It has all the options of a Beemer and handles nice with lots of power. I just don't have a must have it feel when I look at it. Almost bought one before the Vmax but couldn't pull the trigger.

I love my bike and originally thought to sell it and buy two used bikes to replace it. A sport bike and a cruiser. That way I could ride the sport with my mates and the cruiser with the wife. If I did go that route I was thinking about a used Triumph Thunderbird/Rocket 3 and K1200R Sport. It would be the same price as a Diavel and cheaper than the K1600GT. I just don't know if I have the room.

As you can see its not easy to replace the Vmax. That is why I have been trying to make a decision for 3 months. hahaha

1.jpg

P1000509SamsungFuturecomPC-EPHONE.jpg

P1000514SamsungFuturecomPC-EPHONE.jpg
  • voodue
  • Fresh Max
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by voodue.

Re: Thinking about selling the vmax 2 years 3 months ago #8

Here are some more pics Qtip!

P1000492SamsungFuturecomPC-EPHONE.jpg

P1000495SamsungFuturecomPC-EPHONE.jpg

P1000500SamsungFuturecomPC-EPHONE.jpg

P1000507SamsungFuturecomPC-EPHONE.jpg
  • voodue
  • Fresh Max

Re: Thinking about selling the vmax 2 years 3 months ago #9

The Tank is for a generator , and the line attaches from the Aux tank to the overflow just below the gas cap easy peasy

Noticed the bullet lights on your bike , I mounted mine in the same spot and they look to be about the same size

I must say you have been busy with mods too you bike look splendid.
  • capt bob
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 1739

Re: Thinking about selling the vmax 2 years 3 months ago #10

If I had to stick with ONE bike from now one, it would be my FJR 1300. The best "all points considered motorcycle" I have ever owned.
  • VMaxGuru
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Site Sponsor
  • Thank you received: 1611
Ride soon,
Tim Nash
GuruedGear
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook