Monday April 21 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Longest distance on the Vmax?

Re: Longest distance on the Vmax? 2 years 3 weeks ago #11

VmaxOZ wrote:
About 1,250 miles in 4 days is my record. Longest straight trip I did on the VMAX
It was great. No complains except the fuel stops. That should be a thing of the past with little help from the Capt.

+1 - The tank from Capt Bob is a winner!!! :winkwink:
  • neno17
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 123
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Longest distance on the Vmax? 2 years 3 weeks ago #12

docrok wrote:
PeaDawg and Pascal have the Vmax road king badges here.

Not sure about deserving any badge (especially the dubious honor of a “Road King” badge :unsure: but I normally go on a trip with my brother once a year when he comes to visit from Hong Kong. Not trying to beat any record - just to have some fun.

So far we’ve done it twice – each time heading East to AZ.
1st trip was about 1,600 miles (in a week).
Last year was about 1,500 miles (5 days).
Each of these trips has been widely documented on this forum (gas mileage etc) – check the below links for more details :

www.starvmax.com/forum/11-vmax-pics-and-...-az-on-vmax-and-vrod

www.starvmax.com/forum/11-vmax-pics-and-...max-and-vrod--part-2
  • PASCAL
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 175

Re: Longest distance on the Vmax? 2 years 3 weeks ago #13

I've done over 1100 miles in a long weekend. I have a 21 litre tank so longer between fuel stops. I found a good stretch and a short break at every fuel stop helps a lot.
  • Badger1670
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 233
Growing old disgracefully

Re: Longest distance on the Vmax? 2 years 3 weeks ago #14

sgtt45 wrote:
Planning on doing some long rides this summer and was wondering if anyone has done any long rides on the vmax? If so, what distance, how did you hold up, and any suggestions?
Reason I am asking, is because my last bike was a HD and I had highway pegs...ect. That made distance riding a little more comfy.
Thanks!

The riding postion of the VMAX makes it a comfortable long distance ride. (very IMHO)

As the Captain said, you really will appreciate the windshield and the auxiliary fuel tank.

A gas stop can easily take 10 to 15 minutes out of your ride; gas, water, shake the lizard, snack, conversation with gawkers...etc...... mulitple that by six to eight stops and you've lost an hour to two hours of road valuable time, just fueling the beast.

If I remember correctly, Bob's AUX tank got me 145 miles before looking for gas. - quite a time saver (I'm mounting on a 5 gal Aux this year)

Saddle Bags WILL mar your fender if you are not careful (dust, dirt and constant rubbing) however the CORTEC setup allows you to dismount and enter your hotel bed with four snaps.

A large magnetic belly bag is a must. CORTEC again

I'm not interested in highway bars (would compund the lumbar) but rather I simply float my legs rearward and let the wind carry them when I need to relax them.

Throttle myster (like Bob said, is a real wrist saver)

GPS saves time from reading maps.

Quality rain gear that you can get in and out of easy is a good idea (no cheap stuff here)

Ear plugs if you're (carry some just in case). I don't listen to music (tired but went deaf for a few days after trying to overpower the pipes)

I enjoy a modular helmet with slide away shades......can't say enough about how handy that is.

Some use a gel pad...might be a good idea

Get GOPRO or CONTOUR cameras ASAP.....there is SO MUCH road out there, I regert not getting several cameras earlier.

*note keep some cash onboard for emergency backwoods gas stops.

GOOD LUCK out there......maybe she's NOT a cruiser...but she rides very well, kicks ass along the way and arrives ready take on the local yocal..... like Bret says, its funny when they get whooped by a bagger :)

---PeaDawg
  • PeaDawg
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 927
When in doubt....THROTTLE OUT!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qtip, Remaxed, docrok, -Lee-, No_Max

Re: Longest distance on the Vmax? 2 years 3 weeks ago #15

I done a 1,026 miles strail thru from Texas to Florida on my Gen 1 took me 16 Hours & I was wiped out when I got here dont care to do it again. I Dont much like over 500 mile days any more.
  • captainkyle
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 212
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qtip

Re: Longest distance on the Vmax? 2 years 3 weeks ago #16

Back about 5 years ago I road from Neoga, Illinois to Columbus, Ohio and back in 1 day. Approximately 700 miles round trip. This was on my Gen I, 2005. It was a long day and I was sore for a week. That would have made me about 57 years old when I did it. Been thinking about doing some long trips, but not sure my back will take it now.
  • vmaxwaynard
  • Fresh Max
  • Thank you received: 7

Re: Longest distance on the Vmax? 2 years 3 weeks ago #17

Last summer we (wife and me) did 800 miles in 2 days. New York City to Montreal and back. My bike is stock except 240 and 2" lowring. Ride was very comfortable since you have a chance to stop every 80 miles or so for Beer/Chips break :beer: :chips: :beer: :rotflmao:
  • Kilaraipuria
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 68

Re: Longest distance on the Vmax? 2 years 3 weeks ago #18

When I purchased my max in 2010 I picked it up in Toronto and drove it home (newfoundland) about 2000 miles. Had the dealer install a windshield before I picked it up and was thankful for that. Took me about five days. Could have done it in four days but when I got off the ferry in Newfoundland winds were gusting to 70mph and then the snow started....only drove for an hour in that then pulled into a motel for the night.
I found the riding position and seat very comfortable. Came close to running out of fuel a couple of times (don't pass and gas stations with less than 1/2 a tank). I found all the stops for fuel a bit annoying, but thats probably why there was little soreness or fatigue.

Cheers
RoadTrip.JPG
  • Newfiemax
  • Fresh Max
  • Thank you received: 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qtip, No_Max

Re: Longest distance on the Vmax? 2 years 3 weeks ago #19

I totally forgot to count in the gawkers time!!! :bigsmile: Think we will hit the tail of the dragon next month for our first voyage!
  • sgtt45
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 45

Re: Longest distance on the Vmax? 2 years 3 weeks ago #20

Qtip wrote:
:soldier: I think i've clocked around 1200miles I do believe.. Maybe more.. Okbrown may now about the correct amount of miles.. Only thing I can say is tuff it out & truck along.. U will want to pull over & let ur A$$ rest any ways :goodbad2:

That sounds about right Ted.

Most in two days for me was a little over 900 miles when Vern, Ted and I went down to the Hill Country for and overnighter.
  • okbrown
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 957
WHERE'S TED?? Ride Commandment: Thou shalt not pass the ride leader (unless you know where you're going). Friends don't let friends leave the ride, without a map or GPS. ;-)

2009 VMax
VMOA #5544
The following user(s) said Thank You: No_Max
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook