Saturday April 19 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: VMAX Overheating

Re:VMAX Overheating 5 years 2 months ago #21

vmaxinkc wrote:
I'm wondering why everyone wants to install a manual switch. What is the point of that if everything is working OK on the bike? Didn't someone report that the more runs this bike does on a dyno, the more power it produces? This would mean that the warmer the engine is, the more more power it produces...which seems weird to me, but that's what I remember? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... I don't have my bike yet, but I want to know if this is going to be an issue and if a manual switch will be a good idea, or a waste of time & money???

Josh

The way I see it, if you don't want to put a manual switch, don't...if you do, do...

The Gen-1 V-Maxes were notorious for getting TOO hot and getting sluggish after that...I know...I know...I've heard all the arm-chair critics that say, "my V-Max NEVER gets hot or overheats"...get off the armchair and ride in 100+ degree F weather and let me know how it goes...

On the 2009, YES there is a digital and LCD Pie Chart type of temp gauge and I am sure that the Yamaha wizards did their R&D and it should work ok...I don't want to find out in the middle of Highway-3 on the Baja and not have the option of that override switch which I buy for $1.15 at Radio Shack and 1 foot of wire, 1 hour of my time...

The Billet Cam Covers WILL make your 2009 V-Max produce more HP...and they only cost $250/Set...Hey, if you like them and you want them...just buy them...if you want Bright Yellow paint job...more power to you...

It's ALL up to each person...Ride Safe...
  • cvvmax
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 1428
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:VMAX Overheating 5 years 2 months ago #22

UPDATE
I did talk to the dealer and they recommended checking a few more items. I used a INF200 Infrared Thermometer and checked the water flow points inlet and outlet and when fans come on. Starting temp was 66 and at approximately 205 to 215 the fans started cycling. For a point of reference the pie gauge was at the 2 o'clock or half way between mid point and H. The only thing I am puzzled about is the apparent change in normal temperature. 500 miles ago it would never go beyond the halfway point. Now normal is between 1 and 2o'clock on the pie gauge.... At this point I am going to drive and monitor... Per the service manual normal water temperature range is 203–221°F
  • nd4speed
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 5

Re:VMAX Overheating 5 years 2 months ago #23

Thats where mine runs too, & I don't care how hard you beat on it, it won't get higher. :huh:
  • Bad_Max
  • Community Accessory Master
  • Thank you received: 832
Lean & Mean it in every corner of your life...
If it wasn't for us the fast lane would rust...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
Get your V-Max ECU Re-Flashed to Full Power!
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Bad_Max.

Re:VMAX Overheating 5 years 2 months ago #24

thank you for the validation
  • nd4speed
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 5

Re:VMAX Overheating 5 years 2 months ago #25

No prob, just realize that 500 miles ago the rings weren't seated yet. Friction (heat) was lower.
  • Bad_Max
  • Community Accessory Master
  • Thank you received: 832
Lean & Mean it in every corner of your life...
If it wasn't for us the fast lane would rust...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
Get your V-Max ECU Re-Flashed to Full Power!
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Bad_Max.

Re:VMAX Overheating 5 years 2 months ago #26

Here in sunny south australia the temp has been hovering between 35 and 40 degrees celcius for the last 2.5 weeks and the fans run as soon as I hit some traffic any speed above 80kph then the system cools enough for the fans to switch off. Sounds like you got a sensor or ecu problem let the dealer sort it
  • butch09
  • Fresh Max
  • Thank you received: 8

Re:VMAX Overheating 5 years 2 months ago #27

Bright yellow paint job? OK.
  • SDPEARLY
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 10

Re:VMAX Overheating 5 years 2 months ago #28

SDPEARLY wrote:
Bright yellow paint job? OK.

Oh s..., I forgot...ok "CORRECTION"...Bright Purple with little Stars and Harry Potter pictures...now I know NONE of you people have that disgusting paint job...watch, some AH will come out of the back woods of, I was going to say Montana, but I forgot about that ONE guy up there...anyway...ride safe?!?!?...I think that's politically correct...or is it incorrect...never could figure that one out...:laugh:

BTW...SD stands for South Dakota right...:P
  • cvvmax
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 1428

Re:VMAX Overheating 5 years 2 months ago #29

cvvmax wrote:
The Billet Cam Covers WILL make your 2009 V-Max produce more HP...and they only cost $250/Set...
How much horsepower? Any idea's?

If you install the switch and leave it on too much, what impact is there if you have your bike riding on the cooler side .... does it just affect gas mileage (good or bad?) or does it affect wear and tear? Just curious.
  • Bill
  • Senior Max
09 Vmax
95 Vmax
Atari 2600
Xbox 360
Dyson Vacuum Cleaner
Possibly the guy holding the record with the lowest odometer reading for a delivered '09.

Re:VMAX Overheating 5 years 2 months ago #30

The cam covers have to be worth at least 20 extra HP . There is 4 of them and at 5 HP each that adds up to 20 . Right?
The Fans on produce thrust and make the bike go much faster. The impact of riding your bike on the cool side is You are helping to reduce global warming. Watch your mail for a thankyou letter from Al Gore.. Gas milage should be much better (see added thrust above).. Wear not so much.. Tear only if YOU put your finger into the rotating blades to see if they really are turning.
  • hangarnc
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 97
Quality is remembered long after price has been forgotten
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook