Friday April 25 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Water condensation after clutch cover removal.

Water condensation after clutch cover removal. 3 years 2 months ago #1

I pulled off the clutch cover yesterday, to have the ugly purple magnesium get refinished something different.

Sat the cover on the bench oil face down, purple up. Picked it up about an hour later and glanced at the oil side and saw a lot of water condensation through out the piece built up drops everywhere and milky edges around the little bit of oil film.

Haven't really rode the Vmax much the past winter months. I've done 20 minute jaunts local every week or so to get it exercised and keep the fuel system flowed. It's been so cold on these quick ride missions that the temp guage on the bike stays two pie slices, shy of middle temp. Once in awhile I just let the bike idle on cold days & it won't even get hot enough to kick the fans on with the bike running for ten minutes in the driveway!!

I only changed the oil in September and maybe put 2-4 hundred miles on it. I'm guessing I don't have a mechanical problem but it has really built up the water condensation from lack of use?
Should I run it, get it hot, let it hopefully burn off then change the oil again.
I didn't like seeing that yesterday.
  • NY-Vmax-Joe
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 446
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by NY-Vmax-Joe. Reason: spelling
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Water condensation after clutch cover removal. 3 years 2 months ago #2

Have you had that cover off before? For example to fit a DD clutch mod or any other reason?

If so you might not have fitted it back on the same way it was and have an air leak.
Condensation might build up from not having a proper seal between the outside casing and the engine case.
Have you checked the condition of your gasket? That would be my first point of call

Also check for any milky residue around the screws. If you have any around there I would recommend you change your gasket. You should do this every time you take that cover off anyways

Good luck with it
  • VmaxOZ
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 1493

Re: Water condensation after clutch cover removal. 3 years 2 months ago #3

Pretty normal..

Googled answers..

"Besides exhaust contaminates, motor oil also holds a certain level of condensation. This usually isn't a problem when the motorcycle is being used on a regular basis, but when put in storage for three months or more, this condensation can cause rust and pitting on internal engine parts, reducing their longevity and performance. Changing the oil and filter just prior to winter storage will help minimize the amount of condensation in the crank case and on the engine parts during the winter."

" Changing the crankcase oil is important as there will be temperature changes during the winter potentially causing condensation. "

"When your bike is stored for months, it's actually BAD to start it up for just a few minutes. Short running periods will cause condensation to build up in the crankcase, and not allow enough time to burn it off. Once the bike is prepared for storage, it's better to just leave the engine alone until the riding season returns."
  • Bad_Max
  • Community Accessory Master
  • Thank you received: 832
Lean & Mean it in every corner of your life...
If it wasn't for us the fast lane would rust...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
Get your V-Max ECU Re-Flashed to Full Power!
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Bad_Max.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VMaxChuck, NY-Vmax-Joe

Re: Water condensation after clutch cover removal. 3 years 2 months ago #4

Thanks Badmax!

I knew it was normal but didn't think I'd see as much as I saw. Especially since I do try to exercise the bike instead of let it sit for weeks on end. I don't think the bike gets hot enough to burn it off the past few months.
  • NY-Vmax-Joe
  • Expert Max

Re: Water condensation after clutch cover removal. 3 years 2 months ago #5

VmaxOZ wrote:
Have you had that cover off before? For example to fit a DD clutch mod or any other reason?

If so you might not have fitted it back on the same way it was and have an air leak.
Condensation might build up from not having a proper seal between the outside casing and the engine case.
Have you checked the condition of your gasket? That would be my first point of call

Also check for any milky residue around the screws. If you have any around there I would recommend you change your gasket. You should do this every time you take that cover off anyways

Good luck with it

Nope never had it off before. Only things done to my bike are AIS, PC5, & V&H
Gasket came off in pretty good shape so, I'll just permatex coat it a light film when I bolt it back on.
  • NY-Vmax-Joe
  • Expert Max

Re: Water condensation after clutch cover removal. 3 years 2 months ago #6

Install an extra clutch diaphragm disk (spring) before you close it up.. You'll be glad you did (extends clutch life) ;)
  • Bad_Max
  • Community Accessory Master
  • Thank you received: 832
Lean & Mean it in every corner of your life...
If it wasn't for us the fast lane would rust...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
Get your V-Max ECU Re-Flashed to Full Power!
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Bad_Max.

Re: Water condensation after clutch cover removal. 3 years 2 months ago #7

Thank good to know

I'll check mine next time it comes off and see if it is the same.
  • Sensei
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 56

Re: Water condensation after clutch cover removal. 3 years 2 months ago #8

Yep it's there I see condensation every now and then on the clutch glass cover I see a milky film start the bike let it run a minute it disappears starting and running an engine for a short time is the worst thing to do like Bob said, Need to get it to Temp but we all want to hear the Beast Guilty as charged. Warm engine dissipates the moisture.
  • capt bob
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 1739

Re: Water condensation after clutch cover removal. 3 years 2 months ago #9

every couple weeks when the roads clear up, bundle up and take it for a spin.

well except for this year... i dont think these roads are EVER gonna clear up. this winter sucks @$$
  • Mattness
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 165
blacked out while butt chugging

Re: Water condensation after clutch cover removal. 3 years 2 months ago #10

I was planning on taking mine off when I get home for painting. I did the double clutch spring mod a good while back. Best mod for the money. No more purple/brown on my bike when I get back! :tounge:
  • medic981
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 354
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook