Wednesday April 23 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Careful with your exhaust modifications

Re: Careful with your exhaust modifications 2 years 9 months ago #41

My bike has a Race ECU; monster air kit; AIS delete; Mikes X-pipe with stock mufflers; a PCV and Auto tune. I bought it that way and am still learning how all this stuff works.

Question for Tim regarding this lean condition and his programs,

when I emailed asking about which tune I needed a while back, Tim suggested the standard ECU upgrade because my bike has the PCV and autotune, and Tim had not yet developed a tuned fuel file for 4-1-2 and Big Air yet.

Question is would that standard flash account for this problem or will I still need to adjust that one cyl with the PCV to do something. IM guessing that Id still need to account for it with the PCV but earlier posts seem to say all the Nash flashes take it into consideration.

Just trying not to be confused.
  • why2kmax
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 26
2009 Yamaha V-Max
2008 Suzuki B-King
2005 Yamaha FJR-1300ABS
1986 Yamaha FZX-700 FAZER
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VMaxGuru

Re: Careful with your exhaust modifications 2 years 9 months ago #42

why2kmax wrote:
My bike has a Race ECU; monster air kit; AIS delete; Mikes X-pipe with stock mufflers; a PCV and Auto tune. I bought it that way and am still learning how all this stuff works.

when I emailed asking about which tune I needed a while back, Tim suggested the standard ECU upgrade because my bike has the PCV and autotune, and Tim had not yet developed a tuned fuel file for 4-1-2 and Big Air yet.

Question is would that standard flash account for this problem or will I still need to adjust that one cyl with the PCV to do something. IM guessing that Id still need to account for it with the PCV but earlier posts seem to say all the Nash flashes take it into consideration.

At the request of an exhaust manufacturer, I made a "Standard Version" which alters the fuel files very little. This allows their customers to download a power commander map to change the fuel while still getting the benefit of removing most of the other restrictions. Secondly, this product had very little of my fuel tuning therefore I decided to sell the new version at a competitive price. This would leave room for the purchase of a PCV. I have had a new page for the "Standard - Version 2" ready for some time, but I did not make it active until this morning. I have some options to add to it when I have time. Balanced fuel could be one of them.

The former Standard version would still be privy to the same fuel issues as the Original code. The only real difference in the fuel files was slightly more rich Cyl 2 @ idle and just off idle. This would not remedy the issues Oliver posted about as everything else fuel related was unchanged. I am only aware of 2 ECU's I re-flashed with the Standard version. They were both site giveaways. Most people opted to get their ECU's reflashed with tune files instead of purchasing a fuel controller.

It would be very hard for folks to get an individual map done at any local dyno shop. Aside from the equipment requirements, one of each exhaust system has to be sacrificed with the addition of sensor bungs in each individual exhaust header tube. I don't see that happening anytime soon as I, myself, have not recovered all of my cost with bringing what I have to market. I am not complaining. This has been a great education for me. It will lead to other things. Conversely, it would be hard to find a dyno shop with said mentality.

It's a lot to think about. Maybe get some studying done on the issue to make sure I have not overblown it. For now, I would suggest folks with PCV's on OEM ECU's or my Standard version follow Olivers advice. I will contact those two people and advise them of the issue.
  • VMaxGuru
  • Site Sponsor
  • Thank you received: 1619
Ride soon,
Tim Nash
GuruedGear
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by VMaxGuru.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qtip

Re: Careful with your exhaust modifications 2 years 9 months ago #43

VMaxGuru wrote:
why2kmax wrote:

At the request of an exhaust manufacturer, I made a "Standard Version" which alters the fuel files very little. This allows their customers to download a power commander map to change the fuel while still getting the benefit of removing most of the other restrictions. Secondly, this product had very little of my fuel tuning therefore I decided to sell the new version at a competitive price. This would leave room for the purchase of a PCV. I have had a new page for the "Standard - Version 2" ready for some time, but I did not make it active until this morning. I have some options to add to it when I have time. Balanced fuel could be one of them.

The former Standard version would still be privy to the same fuel issues as the Original code. The only real difference in the fuel files was slightly more rich Cyl 2 @ idle and just off idle. This would not remedy the issues Oliver posted about as everything else fuel related was unchanged. I am only aware of 2 ECU's I re-flashed with the Standard version. They were both site giveaways. Most people opted to get their ECU's reflashed with tune files instead of purchasing a fuel controller.

It would be very hard for folks to get an individual map done at any local dyno shop. Aside from the equipment requirements, one of each exhaust system has to be sacrificed with the addition of sensor bungs in each individual exhaust header tube. I don't see that happening anytime soon as I, myself, have not recovered all of my cost with bringing what I have to market. I am not complaining. This has been a great education for me. It will lead to other things. Conversely, it would be hard to find a dyno shop with said mentality.

It's a lot to think about. Maybe get some studying done on the issue to make sure I have not overblown it. For now, I would suggest folks with PCV's on OEM ECU's or my Standard version follow Olivers advice. I will contact those two people and advise them of the issue.

SO basically with the setup given, what are my best options here to not wreck my motor?

1. Wait until you have a flash for my specific setup (minimum 4-1-2 with midpipe and big air) I assume the xpipe makes it a 4-1-2 or is it 4-2?

or

2. Order your standard version with balanced fuel ?? to at least minimize this problem until a the above program is created
and/or

3. Richen up #1 cyl with the PCV (dynojet #3 cyl) to compensate at least somewhat for this problem (IF Possible)...

Man I hate messing with stuff in that thing I know nothing about....
  • why2kmax
  • Senior Max
2009 Yamaha V-Max
2008 Suzuki B-King
2005 Yamaha FJR-1300ABS

Re: Careful with your exhaust modifications 2 years 9 months ago #44

Well, I will chime in here on behalf of the Nash Flash. I am currently running Brock's 4 into 1 and a modified air box with Version 2 Nash Flash. I have no added fuel management, the AIS has not been blocked off and the stock O2 sensor is still in place and functioning. This flash has independent cylinder fuel and ignition timing mapping. AIS is turned off. I am currently test riding this combination with great results. I think Tim will soon have a great balance between all out power and ride-ability.

Stay tuned........ it will only get better from here! :jumping:
  • JKL
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Max
  • Thank you received: 28
The following user(s) said Thank You: Qtip, VMaxGuru

Re: Careful with your exhaust modifications 2 years 9 months ago #45

Iwill step in on this , I have the same set up with akra mid I flashed mine almost a year ago well roughly 10 k miles ago i ride alot the flash I opted for was not tuned for big air me already having a good map tuned for the big air on my PCV left everything intact rode it dyno checked it to find it was near perfect onmy AFR's a very minor tweek between 6 and 7 k and my bike has run awesome from that day on and will pull other maxes in third hard.
  • capt bob
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 1739
The following user(s) said Thank You: VMaxGuru

Re: Careful with your exhaust modifications 2 years 9 months ago #46

why2kmax wrote:
SO basically with the setup given, what are my best options here to not wreck my motor?

1. Wait until you have a flash for my specific setup (minimum 4-1-2 with midpipe and big air) I assume the xpipe makes it a 4-1-2 or is it 4-2?

Yes, the X Pipe is a 4 into 1 into 2. The only thing I am sure of is my re-flash specifically addressed this.
2. Order your standard version with balanced fuel ?? to at least minimize this problem until a the above program is created

I don't know if it is plausible. The more I think about it, the more I am very leery of offering an option like that. As I mentioned before, each system has it's own requirements.
3. Richen up #1 cyl with the PCV (dynojet #3 cyl) to compensate at least somewhat for this problem (IF Possible)...

I would have to crunch all my tunes to see if there is a common denominator.
Man I hate to mess with stuff in that thing I know nothing about.....

I would agreee with your last statment as well. Rather than continuing to post any conjecture and resultant hyperbolize, I see I need to study this and quit thinking out loud. There are a lot of V-Maxes with PCV's out there with tons of miles and no reported problems. The onset of this was a broad fix for a problem found within some bikes with similar setups. For now I would concur with Olivers advice. It's the smart, easy, most plausible and least expensive quick fix for a problem you may or may not have.

I am working on it.
  • VMaxGuru
  • Site Sponsor
  • Thank you received: 1619
Ride soon,
Tim Nash
GuruedGear
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by VMaxGuru.

Re: Careful with your exhaust modifications 2 years 9 months ago #47

capt bob wrote:
Iwill step in on this , I have the same set up with akra mid I flashed mine almost a year ago well roughly 10 k miles ago i ride alot the flash I opted for was not tuned for big air me already having a good map tuned for the big air on my PCV left everything intact rode it dyno checked it to find it was near perfect onmy AFR's a very minor tweek between 6 and 7 k and my bike has run awesome from that day on and will pull other maxes in third hard.

Capt, which flash did you get from Tim? VMX17ECURF-412MAB?

• why2kmax
  • Senior Max
2009 Yamaha V-Max
2008 Suzuki B-King
2005 Yamaha FJR-1300ABS
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by why2kmax.

Re: Careful with your exhaust modifications 2 years 9 months ago #48

I just got the 4 1 2 same one as Brett and Dinan we all have slightly diff setups but we all have the same result Brett and I ride about 1 k a month and he's a commuter it,s just made our bikes the next level in performance Dinan has busted a 9 second and I am at a 10 flat would not happen without the NASH FLASH
  • capt bob
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 1739

Re: Careful with your exhaust modifications 2 years 9 months ago #49

Hi there,

I'm not so technical as most ppl here in this topic so this makes me kinda worried now .

Most ppl here have mods on the exhaust (including myself) and lots of miles on them with no probs.(as fas as we knew)

I've read all replies and i ask myself now that unless the nash-flash is available in Europe you'd better get max's exhaust back to stock?

I only got the X-pipe, AIS mod and stock mufflers........still no pcv.
TBH i want to do a pcv and a personal map for this but i doubt ppl here at dyno's have this much info (of max) as ppl here on this site.

Maybe it's an idea to put some ideas/findings over this issue on a special page , so ppl in Europe can show it at the shop where they get a dyno.

Greetz Ro
  • Aircrawler
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 28

Re: Careful with your exhaust modifications 2 years 9 months ago #50

capt bob wrote:
Bob, u just haven't come across the right Max yet :steam:
  • Qtip
  • Platinum Max
  • What ever!
  • Thank you received: 1767
I'm right here..REALLY!!
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook