Friday April 25 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Disclaimer: Any modification made to your motorcycle can potentially void your factory warranty and conflict with local and federal laws. Any such changes should be performed by an experienced and licensed mechanic.
The descriptions provided in here are for entertainment purposes only. www.starVmax.com does not endorse nor recommend do-it-yourself modifications.
Use your own judgement and check with local authorities (e.g. DMV) to determine if you are allowed and capable to perform such tasks. www.starVmax.com cannot be held responsible for any incidents or injuries as a result of any modifications described here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Oil Pressure Gage Install

Re:Oil Pressure Gage Install 6 years 3 weeks ago #11

2005max wrote:
Man I gotta say you have some great ideals, how did you mount the tach? What's the little toggle switch for?

I used the SS strips you get with mounting horns and bent them to a configuration to enable the tach mounting. The bottom two bolts on the handlebar clamp were used for this purpose.

The toggle switch was for the T-boost that I got suckered into. When I thought about the reason for the V-boost, I realized the T-boost was just another snake oil expense that the so called "techies" on some forums were pushing, like the Furbur Fix. So much misinformation out there. Since this picture was taken, I have removed the T-boost assy totally.
  • mikemax04
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 76
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Oil Pressure Gage Install 6 years 3 weeks ago #12

mikemax04 wrote:
2005max wrote:
Man I gotta say you have some great ideals, how did you mount the tach? What's the little toggle switch for?

I used the SS strips you get with mounting horns and bent them to a configuration to enable the tach mounting. The bottom two bolts on the handlebar clamp were used for this purpose.

The toggle switch was for the T-boost that I got suckered into. When I thought about the reason for the V-boost, I realized the T-boost was just another snake oil expense that the so called "techies" on some forums were pushing, like the Furbur Fix. So much misinformation out there. Since this picture was taken, I have removed the T-boost assy totally.

The T-boost system isn't worth the money? That makes me glad I never bought one.
  • 2005max
  • Fresh Max

Re:Oil Pressure Gage Install 6 years 3 weeks ago #13

The T-boost system isn't worth the money? That makes me glad I never bought one.[/quote]

Most others will disagree with me but having had one myself, studying all the dyno charts, all you will ever find is a straight line of hp and torque with no spikes or even noticeable rises after 6K. These carburetors are great for the Max up to 6-7K and then they need extra mixture for the higher rpm range. Plain and simple, opening the valves at 3K is no advantage since the carbs are big enough to supply what is needed at all rpm's up to and a little past 6-7K. Those that have little knowledge of how carburetors work, and especially the ones on the Max, will blow a gasket when hearing that a T-boost is useless.

The best advice to follow is what the manual has in it and not some guy that can change spark plugs and calls himself a mechanic. Any person that is well qualified in carburetors and studies the workings of the Max will tell you the same thing I have written. It's not always easy to accept reality because fiction is so much more pleasurable to our brains.

Ran a guy once in my neck of the woods, proclaiming with a piece of paper that his ride has 119 ponies at the rear. All kinds of mods and doodads, but when it came down to "show and tell", I showed him that a stock bike is hard to beat and had no idea where he was with all that hp. In this day and age, the best way to get more power is to buy something straight from the factory. That way you get way more bang for the buck and it will also last.
  • mikemax04
  • Expert Max

Re:Oil Pressure Gage Install 6 years 3 weeks ago #14

I don't think a T-Boost is completely worthless, i use the V-Boost OFF Part regularly because we often travel at Speeds around 6k RpM. It's quite annoying to have always corrected the Throttle Position. And my Max gives me 210 km/h without V-Boost. The 3k Position gives me a bit more Torque between 3400 and 5000 RpM, but there is a huge decline in the Curve between 2900 and 3400 RpM. Simply said, way to rich under 3400 and very rich below 5000.
  • Squeeze
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 500

Re:Oil Pressure Gage Install 5 years 9 months ago #15

T-Boost by itself won't make a noticable difference because the carb needles are designed for V-Boost to open at 6k. You'll be running lean from 3k to 6k with T-Boost. If you change the carb needles (I'm using the ones from the Dynojet Stage 7 kit wich is not ideal either) to something that richens things up at 3k, you'll feel the pull hard and early. I didn't see HP increases on the dyno but the engine climbs in RPMs much quicker.

Like your guage arrangement! Wish it was easier to find oil pressure guages that will read lower tho...

Re:Oil Pressure Gage Install 5 years 9 months ago #16

DesertMax wrote:

Like your guage arrangement! Wish it was easier to find oil pressure guages that will read lower tho...

When I was in the market to get a pressure gage for the oil, everybody said to get one that goes from 0-100lbs. I did get one but now I see that my maximum pressure never exceeded 60lbs. but this is no guarantee that your bike won't. The only reason I use the gage is to verify when the oil is up to normal riding temperature before twisting the throttle too much. :)
  • mikemax04
  • Expert Max

Re:Oil Pressure Gage Install 5 years 9 months ago #17

Mikes right.....at start-up my pressure runs anywhere from 40 to 60 lbs, and warmed up runs halfway between 0 - 10 mark on my gauge.
Too me it's just there as a quick check to see if oil pressure is OK.
Mines mounted on the waterpump cover....quick and easy to see, but no ilumination.
Chris
IMG_0343.jpg
  • Cruzin
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Oil Pressure Gage Install 5 years 9 months ago #18

92vmax wrote:
Nice job on the oil pressure gauge modification.

Makes much more sense then the stock configuration IMO.
Where did you get the Oil pressure gauge?

I think I would go with a side by side mount for the tach and speedometer.

Here's my side-by side mount, only pisser, had to get rid of my factory bug screen.
Chris
tach.jpg
  • Cruzin
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook