Wednesday April 23 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Disclaimer: Any modification made to your motorcycle can potentially void your factory warranty and conflict with local and federal laws. Any such changes should be performed by an experienced and licensed mechanic.
The descriptions provided in here are for entertainment purposes only. www.starVmax.com does not endorse nor recommend do-it-yourself modifications.
Use your own judgement and check with local authorities (e.g. DMV) to determine if you are allowed and capable to perform such tasks. www.starVmax.com cannot be held responsible for any incidents or injuries as a result of any modifications described here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Stock Exhaust Mod

Stock Exhaust Mod 6 years 6 months ago #1

For about $50 and some effort, I got a great sound out of the stock mufflers. 5ea 5/8 holes drilled in the mufflers, one 5" can from a diesel tractor and the exit hole determines the loudness. The collector gives it a deeper sounding tone.
GreatSound_.jpg
  • mikemax04
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 76
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by fxstein. Reason: image size
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Stock Exhaust Mod 6 years 5 months ago #2

post more pictures of this it looks cool // do you have a video of it running?

Re:Stock Exhaust Mod 6 years 5 months ago #3

Thats a nice look from behind. Sure does draw attention. Can only image the sound.
  • fxstein
  • Time to Ride! This is VMax!
  • Thank you received: 457
"It's time to Ride - This is Vmax."

Re:Stock Exhaust Mod 6 years 5 months ago #4

Here's an image looking at it from the top. Tried to upload a side shot but was unsuccessful. It's not a perfect match, but a chromed 5" pipe is the biggest I found. Also, as you know, the end of the stock mufflers are oval so the extension was shaped to fit and the original plates in the back were used. With the size exhaust hole, I interchanged plates with different hole sizes and think I found what can keep the cops happy and also my ears. It leans more toward the sound of a thumper than a 4 cyl. I'd be more than willing to record the sound if I knew how and won't have to buy fancy equipment just for that purpose.
ExhaustMod.jpg
Attachments:
  • mikemax04
  • Expert Max
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by mikemax04.

Re:Stock Exhaust Mod 6 years 5 months ago #5

Love it! :woohoo:
  • fxstein
  • Time to Ride! This is VMax!
  • Thank you received: 457
"It's time to Ride - This is Vmax."

Re:Stock Exhaust Mod 6 years 4 months ago #6

Nice,
I did the free mod which was drilling out the rivits to remove the plate and then drilled out some larger holes between those. Sound was good and made me want to ride harder because it gave me a bit on the top end..

I like the can on the end idea if it gives a lower note but does it extend out beyond the tire?

Re:Stock Exhaust Mod 6 years 4 months ago #7

Here's a better shot from the side. Those not familiar with the Max have no idea that it doesn't come like that from the factory. As far as sound goes, I started with the 5 half inch holes, like everybody else. It had too much of a zzzzzzzzt sound for me and was just louder than stock with no quality tone. You wouldn't believe the many crazy configurations I went through before I finally found it acceptable. When you have a brand new bike, it's stupid to spend another $800 on a better sound system that looks cheaper than the original. Finally wound up with .625" holes (they're big), 5" diesel chromed SS cans that re-verb the sound into one exit hole and the original end plates modified to accept different sized openings. The loudness is actually controlled by the size exhaust hole and not the drilled holes in the muffler. I went by the pipe organ principal that the bigger the pipe diameter, the deeper the sound. It worked great for my ears and at times it sounds like a thumper at idle and cruising speeds. Have no idea about it's effect on power but doesn't seem slower, just better.
Latest4.jpg

The stretched image was not intended and have no clue why. :woohoo:
  • mikemax04
  • Expert Max
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by mikemax04.

Re:Stock Exhaust Mod? 5 years 8 months ago #8

what is a diesel ss can?

Re:Stock Exhaust Mod? 5 years 8 months ago #9

SS Can = Stainless Steel Muffler from a diesel tractor.
  • Bad_Max
  • Community Accessory Master
  • Thank you received: 832
Lean & Mean it in every corner of your life...
If it wasn't for us the fast lane would rust...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
Get your V-Max ECU Re-Flashed to Full Power!

Re:Stock Exhaust Mod? 5 years 8 months ago #10

Here is an example of a diesel exhaust tip on eBay for $24.95 ea. Stainless chrome plated steel with 4" inlet and 5" exhaust. I just cut them to the length I wanted and reversed them for a deeper tone. Not an easy mod but better than spending $800+ for a new system. This is just one idea of many possibilities.
exhaust_tip.jpg
  • mikemax04
  • Expert Max
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook