Friday April 25 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Disclaimer: Any modification made to your motorcycle can potentially void your factory warranty and conflict with local and federal laws. Any such changes should be performed by an experienced and licensed mechanic.
The descriptions provided in here are for entertainment purposes only. www.starVmax.com does not endorse nor recommend do-it-yourself modifications.
Use your own judgement and check with local authorities (e.g. DMV) to determine if you are allowed and capable to perform such tasks. www.starVmax.com cannot be held responsible for any incidents or injuries as a result of any modifications described here.

TOPIC: Double D clutch spring.

Re: Double D clutch spring. 2 years 3 months ago #211

With the DD mod what is the retainers any photos so I know what I'm looking for :nerd2:
  • mt01ash
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 163
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Double D clutch spring. 2 years 3 months ago #212

No_Max wrote:
It's obvious why they did it.. I broke a driveshaft already with the double disc mod.. They knew full well that a weak clutch would save on warranty claims. They purposely used the same clutch so as to be the weak link in the drivetrain. Less brakeage & liability for them ;) You really can't blame them.. Maniacs were allowed to buy a 200hp cruiser.. They had to cover their ass somehow :)

Thanks for all of your helpful information. Now maniacs have a CHOICE! B)

I was at a Bay area dealership yesterday talking Vmax stuff with the service manager & this chat came about mentioning......
that a 260 plus pound big guy came to us with a broken 09' Vmax with less then 5000 miles that rode it like a manic doing burnouts 1-3 gears in front of the store & pretty much anytime the bike came to a stop hence I put together hence AKA Badmax Bob. He was talking about you, right Bob??? :lol2:
  • NY-Vmax-Joe
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 446
The following user(s) said Thank You: No_Max

Re: Double D clutch spring. 2 years 3 months ago #213

mt01ash wrote:
Here and old post about Barnett diaphragm spring but why ho why did yamaha put such a weak spring in when they had the stage 3 spring I think we should all get on to Yamaha with this they will take more notice from the USA market than the UK and they might think you don't know about the stage 3 on your side of the pond
www.mt-owners-club.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6036

You have to be a member to view that link.......was the Barnett conversion any good on the MT-01? I'm thinking not since you are interested in the stage 3 diaphragm spring?
  • itgoes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 2940
Mark B

"The Future Is Unwritten"

Re: Double D clutch spring. 2 years 3 months ago #214

Yes I would like to go the stage 3 way if I can find another spring I don't knowany one who did a Barnett conversion it's free to join the MT club and you find a good read on it
  • mt01ash
  • Senior Max

Re: Double D clutch spring. 2 years 3 months ago #215

The Gen 1 clutch spring and retainer is appx. 6" OD and the Gen 2 is appx 5.75" OD. Something I have not checked, will a Gen 1 clutch spring and retainer fit on a Gen 2? Since the 6 hex head bolts are on the spring ID, if they would interchange you could use the PCW spring with stock Gen1 retainer. Or, maybe make a custom retainer to use the Gen 1 spring from PCW? What is the Gen 1 vs Gen 2 spring ID?

rick
  • Rick52
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 309

Re: Double D clutch spring. 2 years 3 months ago #216

NY-Vmax-Joe wrote:
No_Max wrote:
It's obvious why they did it.. I broke a driveshaft already with the double disc mod.. They knew full well that a weak clutch would save on warranty claims. They purposely used the same clutch so as to be the weak link in the drivetrain. Less brakeage & liability for them ;) You really can't blame them.. Maniacs were allowed to buy a 200hp cruiser.. They had to cover their ass somehow :)

I was at a Bay area dealership yesterday talking Vmax stuff with the service manager & this chat came about mentioning......
that a 260 plus pound big guy came to us with a broken 09' Vmax with less then 5000 miles that rode it like a manic doing burnouts 1-3 gears in front of the store & pretty much anytime the bike came to a stop hence I put together hence AKA Badmax Bob. He was talking about you, right Bob??? :lol2:

Yeah, you must have been talking to Justin... They warranteed it both times.. 1st time was tranny, next time drive shaft ;)
  • No_Max
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 2484
Lean & Mean it in every corner of your life...
If it wasn't for us the fast lane would rust...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
Get your V-Max ECU Re-Flashed to Full Power!
The following user(s) said Thank You: NY-Vmax-Joe

Re: Double D clutch spring. 2 years 3 months ago #217

No_Max wrote:

I would summize that Yamaha has made a quite few bucks out of suppling replacement clutch plates to date?? :money: It`s fantastic all the feed back they give us. :nerd2:
  • VMAXD
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 886

Re: Double D clutch spring. 2 years 3 months ago #218

Sent this to Barnett this morning;

Subject: 2009 and up Yamaha VMax Clutch Spring Conversion Kit

Hi,

It's my understanding that you currently do not have a spring conversion kit for the Gen 2 VMax.

While doing some research I discovered that the Yamaha MT-01 and the year 2009 and forward VMax share the same OEM clutch spring part number. This leads me to believe that your part# 511-90-10008 (MT-01 clutch spring conversion kit) may also be suitable for the VMax.

Could you confirm this for me?

There is much interest amongst Gen 2 VMax owners for heavy duty alternative to the factory spring.

Thank You,
  • itgoes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Max
Mark B

Re: Double D clutch spring. 2 years 3 months ago #219

I do know that some MT-01 owners have used the Yamaha FJR1300 spring as well in the double up mod but what they have done is to cut every other segment out of the spring thus reducing the pressure this would help with not putting too much on the drive shaft did a search and EBC now do what looks to may be a stronger spring than standard but not as strong as a stage3 spring here is a link to the EBC spring
www.motorcycle-road-and-race.co.uk/catal...00-all-p-407033.html
  • mt01ash
  • Senior Max

Re: Double D clutch spring. 2 years 3 months ago #220

itgoes wrote:
Sent this to Barnett this morning;

Subject: 2009 and up Yamaha VMax Clutch Spring Conversion Kit

Hi,

It's my understanding that you currently do not have a spring conversion kit for the Gen 2 VMax.

While doing some research I discovered that the Yamaha MT-01 and the year 2009 and forward VMax share the same OEM clutch spring part number. This leads me to believe that your part# 511-90-10008 (MT-01 clutch spring conversion kit) may also be suitable for the VMax.

Could you confirm this for me?

There is much interest amongst Gen 2 VMax owners for heavy duty alternative to the factory spring.

Thank You,

:cry2: Reply from Barnett:

Mark,

They do share the same spring but not the same hub.The MT-01 conversion will not fit the Gen2 V-Max.
We are working on a heavy-duty spring for it, can not make a conversion due to hub design.

MikeTaylor
Barnett's

This is the same info that Maxout posted......so it looks like something is in the works......and we'll need to be patient......as usual. Unless, we can find a source for the "Stage 3" springs that mt01ash is recommending.
  • itgoes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Max
Mark B

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook