Wednesday April 16 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Disclaimer: Any modification made to your motorcycle can potentially void your factory warranty and conflict with local and federal laws. Any such changes should be performed by an experienced and licensed mechanic.
The descriptions provided in here are for entertainment purposes only. www.starVmax.com does not endorse nor recommend do-it-yourself modifications.
Use your own judgement and check with local authorities (e.g. DMV) to determine if you are allowed and capable to perform such tasks. www.starVmax.com cannot be held responsible for any incidents or injuries as a result of any modifications described here.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Frame Braces.....

Frame Braces..... 5 years 11 months ago #1

Hi All.......I'm thinking of investing into a set of frame braces from Dale Walker or Sportmax, and want to know if anyone has any imput on if it's really worth it.
I know some say the way to go are solid motor mounts, but that will have to be another project, as the braces are asthetically appealing to me.

I would even venture out and try to make my own if someone could give me the dimensions and send some pictures, or if you were'nt satisfied with them I'll buy them from you.

The Sportmax model is my preference because I believe their connection points are more appropriate to "tightening" up the frame.
Thanks for any input......and all imput is welcome.

Chris
  • Cruzin
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Frame Braces..... 5 years 11 months ago #2

Cruzin wrote:
Hi All.......I'm thinking of investing into a set of frame braces from Dale Walker or Sportmax, and want to know if anyone has any imput on if it's really worth it.
I know some say the way to go are solid motor mounts, but that will have to be another project, as the braces are asthetically appealing to me.

I would even venture out and try to make my own if someone could give me the dimensions and send some pictures, or if you were'nt satisfied with them I'll buy them from you.

The Sportmax model is my preference because I believe their connection points are more appropriate to "tightening" up the frame.
Thanks for any input......and all imput is welcome.

Chris

Chris,
The VMAX frame has quite a bit of flex in it, so frame braces are going to help strengthen the gap. Solid motor mounts are definitely worth the money. If you like the look of the braces...do it and add the solid motor mounts later.

Rick
  • 92vmax
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 62
Time to Ride This is VMAX

Re:Frame Braces..... 5 years 11 months ago #3

BTW...
Here is a link to the torque rod frame brace that I believe is the best engineered to help the Vmax.

They also sell delrin solid motor mounts that work the best.
imho

Rick

www.rmsportmax.com/rods.html
  • 92vmax
  • Expert Max

Re:Frame Braces..... 5 years 11 months ago #4

Thanks Rick...those are actually the one's I will probably get...just trying to justify paying that much for them when I have other needs. Will probably break down in a couple weeks and get them.
Are the motor mounts easy to change?
Is there a big difference in the ride with the 170 tire out back, and are there any mods to do (shimming,etc)?
Thanks,
Chris
  • Cruzin
  • Senior Max

Re:Frame Braces..... 5 years 11 months ago #5

Cruzin wrote:
Thanks Rick...those are actually the one's I will probably get...just trying to justify paying that much for them when I have other needs. Will probably break down in a couple weeks and get them.
Are the motor mounts easy to change?
Is there a big difference in the ride with the 170 tire out back, and are there any mods to do (shimming,etc)?
Thanks,
Chris

RE: Motor Mounts...
Time consuming but not a difficult task, may have to shim if your frame was tweaked. Some guys have used a metal washer on one end to protect the delrin from the nut.

Here is a link that covers the complete install, plus a diagram on how to make your own.

vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/solid_mounts.htm

RE: 170 Rear Tire Install

I like mine much better than the stock size.
Again, some have flipped the washer to the other side to give more clearance, however I left mine in the stock position and I have clearance. Just depends on your bike.

vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/fat_tire_installation.htm

Rick
  • 92vmax
  • Expert Max

Re:Frame Braces..... 5 years 10 months ago #6

New to the site,

I just installed frame braces similar to RMS Sportmax and was curious if any similar installs saw any cracks to the frame as a result. I did notice a major improvement in the handling and response in the corners and the front wheel lifted off the ground much quicker.
If anyone that has installed frame braces has any input on problems as a result, please let us know.

Thanks, Rick.

Re:Frame Braces..... 5 years 10 months ago #7

Rick, welcome to the site....what kind of braces did you get, are they weld-on or clamp on, new/used, cost, were from(brand)?

I know these braces have been around for a while, and I have not found any info on stress cracks off the sort, just positive feedback. I want a set but always find something else to get with the money before I order them.(I'm thinking about trying to make a set):blink:

Just like you I believe that tightening up the frame with those braces would put the stress somewhere else, but they are still useing them........with good results!

Chris
  • Cruzin
  • Senior Max

Re:Frame Braces..... 5 years 10 months ago #8

Chris,

I made them based on the ones I saw on the RMS site. They are not chrome moly, I made them out of DOM pipe which is seamless and weldable with a MIG. This was the only way I really could have afforded them. Total cost with the powdercoating was about $45.
I have had them on for about two weeks and haven't had any problems yet. I'll try to get a photo and post it soon.

Rick.

Re:Frame Braces..... 5 years 10 months ago #9

rixter66 wrote:
New to the site,

I just installed frame braces similar to RMS Sportmax and was curious if any similar installs saw any cracks to the frame as a result. I did notice a major improvement in the handling and response in the corners and the front wheel lifted off the ground much quicker.
If anyone that has installed frame braces has any input on problems as a result, please let us know.

Thanks, Rick.

Welcome to the site!
  • fxstein
  • Time to Ride! This is VMax!
  • Thank you received: 457
"It's time to Ride - This is Vmax."

Re:Frame Braces..... 5 years 10 months ago #10

Rick...thanks for the info, please post a pic when you can.
I was actually thinking of useing/modifying the frame braces off of the Venture for the Max?

You should start producing and selling those!!! They are just ridiculously overpriced.

BTW....I'm willing to pay you double for a set if you can whip one up for me?

Chris
  • Cruzin
  • Senior Max
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook