Thursday April 24 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: If your haven't lowered yet, DO IT!

If your haven't lowered yet, DO IT! 2 years 3 months ago #1

Just finished installing the 2" lowering link and dropping the front forks 1". WOW besides the low, long, mean look, the bike handles much better, feels lighter and delivers the power to the ground much better. Now the bike does NOT have that rear end lift up as before. Now it pushes forward instead of lifting up! Traction applied is better. I'm 5'11" and it's nice to be flat footed while stopping. Always had to wear big heel boots to help, now sneakers are flat footed. Install was really not bad, about 3-4 hours. Also wanted to say "thanks" to Rudy on this forum for all his help.

ride safe,

vegas tom

(before and after)
Attachments:
  • vrodtom
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 94
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by vrodtom.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dennis

Re: If your haven't lowered yet, DO IT! 2 years 3 months ago #2

I have only had my bike a little over a month one of my first mods was to lower it .Im glad i did bike feels so much better and i think it looks better to imo
  • vieselmax
  • Fresh Max
  • Thank you received: 10

Re: If your haven't lowered yet, DO IT! 2 years 3 months ago #3

ok now I dont know if i will do it, as in other forums they say not to lower??????
  • Hanshi
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 429
My name is Helen, I got my 1st bike in 1973 it was a 650 Yamaha in 1974 I had 2 650 Yamaha's I then got a 850 Yamaha and was the 1st in New Zealand to get the 1100 Yamaha.I have a 2005 xjr1300
I would like someone to buy me a 2009 VMax as I just love the look of this bike and I would love to ride...

Re: If your haven't lowered yet, DO IT! 2 years 3 months ago #4

Hanshi wrote:
ok now I dont know if i will do it, as in other forums they say not to lower??????

Who told you that, and why? What is the reason not to lower besides ground clearence?
  • Power Slave
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 293

Re: If your haven't lowered yet, DO IT! 2 years 3 months ago #5

Power Slave wrote:
Hanshi wrote:

Who told you that, and why? What is the reason not to lower besides ground clearence?

That is the reason....if you like to ride through the "twisties", you will be dragging/scraping parts on every turn. If you live where it is mostly straight roads, or ride like Grandma.....then it's no big deal except for the fact you are losing some suspension travel I suppose.
  • itgoes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 2940
Mark B

"The Future Is Unwritten"
The following user(s) said Thank You: okbrown

Re: If your haven't lowered yet, DO IT! 2 years 3 months ago #6

Not for me- I like having a 'big boy' bike!
  • wjzwiss
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 61

Re: If your haven't lowered yet, DO IT! 2 years 3 months ago #7

Low and mean for me, will be buying the 2" drop link for sure.
  • hirevn
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 285

Re: If your haven't lowered yet, DO IT! 2 years 3 months ago #8

If you lower the bike, watch your license plate angle carefully, especially with a fender eliminator. Seems like tire rub can be an issue. Max Warrior lost his plate for sure and if I remember correctly he lost the entire No-Mar eliminator. Keith Rush almost lost his 2 weekends ago on the 18th, but one of our buddies noticed it in time to save his.

Just a FYI, YMMV etc, etc, etc......

Shaun
  • okbrown
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 957
WHERE'S TED?? Ride Commandment: Thou shalt not pass the ride leader (unless you know where you're going). Friends don't let friends leave the ride, without a map or GPS. ;-)

2009 VMax
VMOA #5544
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by okbrown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: itgoes, Remaxed

Re: If your haven't lowered yet, DO IT! 2 years 3 months ago #9

okbrown wrote:
If you lower the bike, <strong>watch your license plate angle carefully</strong>, especially with a fender eliminator. Seems like tire rub can be an issue. Max Warrior lost his plate for sure and if I remember correctly he lost the entire No-Mar eliminator. Keith Rush almost lost his 2 weekends ago on the 18th, but one of our buddies noticed it in time to save his.

Just a FYI, YMMV etc, etc, etc......

Shaun

With my Max lowered 2" I've lost my license plate twice. Both times the road was pretty bumpy and I was riding two up or aggressively. The NoMar holder never came off and was sturdy enough to hammer back into shape. I also have the front lowered an inch and a half. With the 240, I've also had to replace the inner fender. I'm more concerned over the long term about the oil pan, I scrape it in tight right handers, eventually I think it'll wear through if I don't do something.

Vern
  • Max_Warrior
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 117
WHERE'S TED?
The following user(s) said Thank You: itgoes, okbrown

Re: If your haven't lowered yet, DO IT! 2 years 3 months ago #10

Max_Warrior wrote:
With my Max lowered 2" I've lost my license plate twice. Both times the road was pretty bumpy and I was riding two up or aggressively. The NoMar holder never came off and was sturdy enough to hammer back into shape. I also have the front lowered an inch and a half. With the 240, I've also had to replace the inner fender. I'm more concerned over the long term about the oil pan, I scrape it in tight right handers, eventually I think it'll wear through if I don't do something.

Vern

Couldn't remember if it took your plate holder or not. I just remember that you weren't too pleased to have lost your plate a second time. Keith was just riding single, so it doesn't take a two up scenario to lose your plate.
  • okbrown
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 957
WHERE'S TED?? Ride Commandment: Thou shalt not pass the ride leader (unless you know where you're going). Friends don't let friends leave the ride, without a map or GPS. ;-)

2009 VMax
VMOA #5544
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by okbrown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: itgoes
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook