Thursday April 24 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Want to win this UNIQUE item? <a href=http://www.starvmax.com/News/starVmax-News/Time-to-Ride-This-is-VMAX.html>Time to Ride - This is VMAX!</a><br>
Tell us YOUR story and make the world read and comment on it! Check out the rules for this once in a live time contest and take home the ultimate complement to your new 2009 VMAX. Good luck to all of you!
  • Page:

TOPIC: How my dream became reality

How my dream became reality 5 years 7 months ago #1

To start things off I've been riding two wheeled motorized vehicles for 20 years (Starting at 12 years old). My first bike was an Austrian based moped (Achromeag?)that was sold at Sears long ago. I bought it for around $75 and it didn't run. After weeks of wrenching with my dad and we got it running. I rode the moped mostly on dirt roads in and around the small town of Quitaque, Texas where my grandparents lived. I would travel all day on a single tank of gas. I sometimes drove it like a dirtbike and drove it beyond its limits. Any how this is where I cut my teeth riding motorcycles and my love for motorcycles began.

Back in 1995 I arrived at Camp Lejeune, NC. As a young Marine PFC I had no money to spare. Taxis cost too much and I needed a cheap form of transportation. One day me and a buddy of mine took a taxis into Jacksonville, NC to a local motorcycle shop. I quickly began looking at the liter bikes and wanted one. But my wants and needs were quickly weighed out by my lack of funds. My buddy loaned me $500 and I ended up settling for a small but fun Suzuki GS500E. Two weeks later my same buddy bought the same bike but in a different color. Once everybody in our unit found out we road the same bikes we were the butt of all jokes. They also made fun of the size of the bikes and the lack of power that they made. One day on the way back from work we parked next to a red evil looking motorcycle in the parking lot just outside of our barracks. Another Marine in one of the Grunt Units walked up and started making friendly conversation. We asked him what kind of bike he was riding. He acknowledged that it was a Yamaha Vmax. He advised us that it was very fast and fun to ride. He then placed the key in the ignition and woke the beast. Now mind you, this is the first Vmax that I had ever seen or heard. The Vmax awoke and me and my buddy stood there like two kids staring in amazement. The Vmax was red and from the eighties. It had a Kerker 4 into 2 exhaust with a stage 7 carb kit. Don't ask me how I remembered this, I just did. The bark coming out of the exhaust was like a small block Chevy. It was like music. The guy took the faux tank off and removed one of the K&N air filters to show us how much fuel would be dumped into the cylinders when the throttle was blipt. It was like spraying a garden hose into a dixie cup. But this dixie cup had a bottomless pit. For the next year or so we would watch the former Marine leave the barracks like he stole the bike in a fit of rage. When the guy would return back to the barracks we would sometimes roam out to the parking lot and drool over his Vmax. We would also joke around and say "Yeah I bet when we hit the rack at night the Vmax jumps over on our toy GS500E's and has it's way with them. Funny in a Marine sort of way. LOL. Without ever riding the Vmax and knowing very little about them we knew it was a fast and a very power motorcycle. From there on out I would dream of owning one one-day.

Fast forward to April 2000. I moved to Virgina for work. I had gotten married and got rid of my GS500E. I would sit around and think about riding a motorcycle. I was talking to a co-worker one afternoon and told him I wanted a motorcycle. I told him that if I could have any bike in the world it would be a Vmax. The next day he came in with a New Goldwing and told me that a used Vmax was on the floor. A few days later I convinced the wife to drive up to the dealership in Woodbridge, VA to look at motorcycles (Hidden Agenda of Course). Needless to say this is not what she wanted to do. I looked around and saw many bikes but nothing that caught my eye. I walked around until I saw found what I was looking for. It was a Black 1996 Vmax. I just stared at it as though I saw the girl of my dreams for the first time and was too shy to talk to her. My wife was not prepared for me to buy a motorcycle and pulled me out of the store before I made a purchase off impulse. We(me) sadly drove off with no purchase. A month and half later I convinced the wife to return to take a looksee once again. The same Vmax was still there. "It was a sign!" I thought. This time she took the bait and I bought the bike of my dreams. It was a used Vmax with 5000 miles on it. I paid $5900 hundred dollars for it. The condition of the bike was ok but it was clearly not taken care of by the previous owner or dealership. After purchasing the bike I drove it from the dealership to work. Now I will tell you, I hadn't driven a motorcycle in over a year prior to this and nothing this powerful on two wheels. On the way to work I would gently pull on the throttle to test the waters. I could not believe that I was on a Vmax and thought I was riding a rocket. It took me a month before I really got on the throttle. After that I was invisible. My wife hated the bike in the beginning. I would pull it in our apartment at night and I would wash it and detail it every night. She would huff and puff and remind me that I loved the bike more than her. LOL! So what. After 5 years of owning the bike she realized that it was hard to come between me and the bike that I loved so much.

In May of 2005 my abuse of my Vmax came to a head. I had done some simple exhaust, carb jet kit, wheel and suspension mods to improve the overall performance of the bike. I was driving back from my lunch break and I heard a crunch, bang, bang below me. That noise continued all the way to work. I trucked the bike home and took the engine apart. A further observation reveiled that I had destroyed 2nd and 3rd gears. I was not happy. I felt that I had let a friend down. My wife was very supportive and saw that I was not happy. She told me that she new how much the bike meant to me and to do whatever it took to fix the problem. YOU DON'T EVER TELL A GUY THIS WHO LOVES HIS MOTORCYCLE TOO DEATH. I called around and realized that it was going to cost around $3000 dollars to fix the trans. Well the only thing to do at this point was to call PCW racing (Vmax engine builder) and have them build a me a slightly bigger and better engine (1500 CC Tourmaster). Reluctantly my wife agreed on the deal and I got it built. I drove up to New York and picked up the engine. The next day me and my buddy installed the engine into the bike and had it running that day. A week later I moved to Arizona.

After arriving to Arizona I broke the motor in and then had it dynoed in Oceanside, CA. It dynoed at 164 RWHP and 100 FT lbs of torque! With modified stock carbs! WOW is all I can say. Now it is 2008. I keep saying that I'm done dumping money in the Vmax but that's a lie. I just installed fuel injection on the bike and now it is a different beast. So when is enough, ENOUGH!? Don't ask. I love my Vmax. It draws attention everywhere I go. But it is truely my dream bike. Everyone that knows me knows that I'm the guy with the Vmax. Hell my wife can recognize a Vmax a mile away before I do. I've ridden many, many bikes of all types since buying my Vmax but nothing comes close to the personality of the Vmax. It is in a class of its own. I wish I could buy the new Vmax but I guess I will just have to wait. I have a few other things that I need to take care of. But I can dream of owning the new Vmax one day......right?

Long Live the King!

:bow:
  • motorsicl
  • Senior Max
  • Thank you received: 23
JROC
1996 Vmax 1500 Fuel Injected
2009 Vmax Stock (V&H exhaust with PCV)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How my dream became reality 5 years 7 months ago #2

Even tho I had an 07 Vmax, When I saw the new proto-type, I was a gasp! They're not really gonna build that are they? was all I could think. I started snooping around for more info on this mutant bike I had seen & ended up here.. Within 1 week, from info I had found out here, I paid the local dealer a visit and pluncked down my deposit. The days come & go now, with only the longing for the "Beast" driving me on. Day by day the wait gets shorter, The "Beast" is coming! :cheer: The "Beast" is coming! :cheer: Buy more Gear, the "Beast" is near! B)
  • Bad_Max
  • Community Accessory Master
  • Thank you received: 832
Lean & Mean it in every corner of your life...
If it wasn't for us the fast lane would rust...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
Get your V-Max ECU Re-Flashed to Full Power!
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Bad_Max.

Re:How my dream became reality 5 years 7 months ago #3

good story man. welcome.sounds like you have a scary bike.ill race ya!:side:
  • Soki2me
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 2

Re:How my dream became reality 5 years 7 months ago #4

motorsicl wrote:
To start things off I've been riding two wheeled motorized vehicles for 20 years (Starting at 12 years old). My first bike was an Austrian based moped (Achromeag?)that was sold at Sears long ago. I bought it for around $75 and it didn't run. After weeks of wrenching with my dad and we got it running. I rode the moped mostly on dirt roads in and around the small town of Quitaque, Texas where my grandparents lived. I would travel all day on a single tank of gas. I sometimes drove it like a dirtbike and drove it beyond its limits. Any how this is where I cut my teeth riding motorcycles and my love for motorcycles began.

Back in 1995 I arrived at Camp Lejeune, NC. As a young Marine PFC I had no money to spare. Taxis cost too much and I needed a cheap form of transportation. One day me and a buddy of mine took a taxis into Jacksonville, NC to a local motorcycle shop. I quickly began looking at the liter bikes and wanted one. But my wants and needs were quickly weighed out by my lack of funds. My buddy loaned me $500 and I ended up settling for a small but fun Suzuki GS500E. Two weeks later my same buddy bought the same bike but in a different color. Once everybody in our unit found out we road the same bikes we were the butt of all jokes. They also made fun of the size of the bikes and the lack of power that they made. One day on the way back from work we parked next to a red evil looking motorcycle in the parking lot just outside of our barracks. Another Marine in one of the Grunt Units walked up and started making friendly conversation. We asked him what kind of bike he was riding. He acknowledged that it was a Yamaha Vmax. He advised us that it was very fast and fun to ride. He then placed the key in the ignition and woke the beast. Now mind you, this is the first Vmax that I had ever seen or heard. The Vmax awoke and me and my buddy stood there like two kids staring in amazement. The Vmax was red and from the eighties. It had a Kerker 4 into 2 exhaust with a stage 7 carb kit. Don't ask me how I remembered this, I just did. The bark coming out of the exhaust was like a small block Chevy. It was like music. The guy took the faux tank off and removed one of the K&N air filters to show us how much fuel would be dumped into the cylinders when the throttle was blipt. It was like spraying a garden hose into a dixie cup. But this dixie cup had a bottomless pit. For the next year or so we would watch the former Marine leave the barracks like he stole the bike in a fit of rage. When the guy would return back to the barracks we would sometimes roam out to the parking lot and drool over his Vmax. We would also joke around and say "Yeah I bet when we hit the rack at night the Vmax jumps over on our toy GS500E's and has it's way with them. Funny in a Marine sort of way. LOL. Without ever riding the Vmax and knowing very little about them we knew it was a fast and a very power motorcycle. From there on out I would dream of owning one one-day.

Fast forward to April 2000. I moved to Virgina for work. I had gotten married and got rid of my GS500E. I would sit around and think about riding a motorcycle. I was talking to a co-worker one afternoon and told him I wanted a motorcycle. I told him that if I could have any bike in the world it would be a Vmax. The next day he came in with a New Goldwing and told me that a used Vmax was on the floor. A few days later I convinced the wife to drive up to the dealership in Woodbridge, VA to look at motorcycles (Hidden Agenda of Course). Needless to say this is not what she wanted to do. I looked around and saw many bikes but nothing that caught my eye. I walked around until I saw found what I was looking for. It was a Black 1996 Vmax. I just stared at it as though I saw the girl of my dreams for the first time and was too shy to talk to her. My wife was not prepared for me to buy a motorcycle and pulled me out of the store before I made a purchase off impulse. We(me) sadly drove off with no purchase. A month and half later I convinced the wife to return to take a looksee once again. The same Vmax was still there. "It was a sign!" I thought. This time she took the bait and I bought the bike of my dreams. It was a used Vmax with 5000 miles on it. I paid $5900 hundred dollars for it. The condition of the bike was ok but it was clearly not taken care of by the previous owner or dealership. After purchasing the bike I drove it from the dealership to work. Now I will tell you, I hadn't driven a motorcycle in over a year prior to this and nothing this powerful on two wheels. On the way to work I would gently pull on the throttle to test the waters. I could not believe that I was on a Vmax and thought I was riding a rocket. It took me a month before I really got on the throttle. After that I was invisible. My wife hated the bike in the beginning. I would pull it in our apartment at night and I would wash it and detail it every night. She would huff and puff and remind me that I loved the bike more than her. LOL! So what. After 5 years of owning the bike she realized that it was hard to come between me and the bike that I loved so much.

In May of 2005 my abuse of my Vmax came to a head. I had done some simple exhaust, carb jet kit, wheel and suspension mods to improve the overall performance of the bike. I was driving back from my lunch break and I heard a crunch, bang, bang below me. That noise continued all the way to work. I trucked the bike home and took the engine apart. A further observation reveiled that I had destroyed 2nd and 3rd gears. I was not happy. I felt that I had let a friend down. My wife was very supportive and saw that I was not happy. She told me that she new how much the bike meant to me and to do whatever it took to fix the problem. YOU DON'T EVER TELL A GUY THIS WHO LOVES HIS MOTORCYCLE TOO DEATH. I called around and realized that it was going to cost around $3000 dollars to fix the trans. Well the only thing to do at this point was to call PCW racing (Vmax engine builder) and have them build a me a slightly bigger and better engine (1500 CC Tourmaster). Reluctantly my wife agreed on the deal and I got it built. I drove up to New York and picked up the engine. The next day me and my buddy installed the engine into the bike and had it running that day. A week later I moved to Arizona.

After arriving to Arizona I broke the motor in and then had it dynoed in Oceanside, CA. It dynoed at 164 RWHP and 100 FT lbs of torque! With modified stock carbs! WOW is all I can say. Now it is 2008. I keep saying that I'm done dumping money in the Vmax but that's a lie. I just installed fuel injection on the bike and now it is a different beast. So when is enough, ENOUGH!? Don't ask. I love my Vmax. It draws attention everywhere I go. But it is truely my dream bike. Everyone that knows me knows that I'm the guy with the Vmax. Hell my wife can recognize a Vmax a mile away before I do. I've ridden many, many bikes of all types since buying my Vmax but nothing comes close to the personality of the Vmax. It is in a class of its own. I wish I could buy the new Vmax but I guess I will just have to wait. I have a few other things that I need to take care of. But I can dream of owning the new Vmax one day......right?

Long Live the King!

:bow:
:beer:
  • badVmax
  • Senior Max

Re:How my dream became reality 5 years 7 months ago #5

Great story and one I can relate to. My first ride on the Max was also memorable, because a heep of blokes watched me mount that beast for the first time. oeiei, was I glad to be around the corner so they couldn't see me any more. But I bought it anyway, haha!

Thanks for sharing, eventhough you're my rival in this competition!
Good luck with the Max.
  • vmaxbabe
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 1434
Vmax 2009: give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire!

Re:How my dream became reality 5 years 7 months ago #6

Motor, If you don't mind, how much for the 1500 set up and also FI?

The first two times I twisted the grip on my Max, it was like going down the steep side of a roller coaster. I get that feeling once in a while, but seldom now. It actually depends on the atmosphere on how my Max runs, temp, humidity, air density. It seems to run the strongest around 65-80 degrees. Anyway, to get that roller coaster gut feeling back, I'd been looking into what you did with yours. Then the new Max came, I took advantage of Momma telling me two years ago, that I could have the Gen II Max if it came out. She told me if I got her a new car, I could get this new bike. Inadvertently, I fulfilled that part of the bargain last year and bought her a car, well before the news of the new Max broke. God still loves me.:)
  • inogivearats
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 10

Re:How my dream became reality 5 years 7 months ago #7

Beautiful story!
Glad that you shared it with us:)

Show us a picture of your VMax.
  • Tejo
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 125

Re:How my dream became reality 5 years 7 months ago #8

Took the Max to town this morning on a grocery getter run. It was cool and a pinch humid, which made the bike a pinch stronger.

BTW: Good clip Motor. I would like to hear your who, what and cost of what you did to get your beast to what it is. If you feel, you can PM me for a hook up. If I keep my '89 I may try to beef it up down the road. Thanks, Mark
  • inogivearats
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 10

Re:How my dream became reality 5 years 7 months ago #9

I purchased the 1500 cc Tourmaster motor two years ago from PCW. It was around $5400 out the door. They are about a grand more now I think. The EFI is not cheap. $4000 smackaroos. If you plan on purchasing either one of these let me know. I can give some ideas that may aid in your decision purchase making process.
  • motorsicl
  • Senior Max
JROC

Re:How my dream became reality 5 years 7 months ago #10

Good looking Vmax. What kind of exhaust is that?
  • motorsicl
  • Senior Max
JROC
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook