Wednesday April 23 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome to the Yamaha Star VMax Forum!

You have come to the place where members share their experience about the All New Next Generation Yamaha Star VMax.
We encourage you to post of a little introduction about yourself and get a warm welcome into the online neighborhood dedicated to the most powerful muscle bike in the world!

TOPIC: What is the best year vmax to buy?

What is the best year vmax to buy? 3 years 2 months ago #1

My name is Lew and I live in Florida. I have been riding a Yamaha Maxim X for the past ten years and want to buy a vmax. Which of the years were more trouble free? I want to know what year vamx to avoid in my search.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What is the best year vmax to buy? 3 years 2 months ago #2

Welcome to the site, Lew!!! Are you looking for a Gen 1 or a Gen 2 bike? Most of the guys (and gals) here have the second generation bike which started in 09. But there are plenty of guys here with Gen 1 bikes as well. They'll chime in, I'm sure.

Stick around and we'll have you talked into a Gen 2 in no time!!!!!! :punk:
  • medic981
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 354

Re: What is the best year vmax to buy? 3 years 2 months ago #3

2009 - It's the fastest one of ALL. :whistle:

& Welcome to the site.
  • Qtip
  • Platinum Max
  • What ever!
  • Thank you received: 1767
I'm right here..REALLY!!
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Qtip.

Re: What is the best year vmax to buy? 3 years 2 months ago #4

LewGervais wrote:
My name is Lew and I live in Florida. I have been riding a Yamaha Maxim X for the past ten years and want to buy a vmax. Which of the years were more trouble free? I want to know what year vamx to avoid in my search.

If you really want a troublefree bike with decent brakes, suspension, sport tires, etc. buy a 2009 or younger. Downside is they're really expensive.

If you don't want to spend that much money, buy a Vmax that's younger than 1995, invest in some R1 2003 brakes (the golden or the blue ones fit on this Max without modding it), put some stiffer progressive springs in the front suspension and maybe, if there's still money in your wallet, a 17" rear rim (use of a sports tire will greatly improve the cornering).

Good luck on your search!
  • vmaxbabe
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 1434
Vmax 2009: give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire!
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by vmaxbabe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PeaDawg

Re: What is the best year vmax to buy? 3 years 2 months ago #5

Steer clear of the 2008 model :P Welcome to the site! :)
  • Bad_Max
  • Community Accessory Master
  • Thank you received: 832
Lean & Mean it in every corner of your life...
If it wasn't for us the fast lane would rust...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
Get your V-Max ECU Re-Flashed to Full Power!
Last Edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Bad_Max.

Re: What is the best year vmax to buy? 3 years 2 months ago #6

Good one B_M!!!

Welcome to the site!! My '09 iz the bestest most favoritest toy i have EVER owned!!! :vacation:
  • docrok
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 1145
To the Max....
The following user(s) said Thank You: medic981

Re: What is the best year vmax to buy? 3 years 2 months ago #7

Welcome

If you get a Gen II that's 2009 and later just get the one you like best for color or if money is an issue the one you get the best deal on. If you get a Gen I then they are all pretty reliable. The earlier ones are rumored to have more HP as they detuned them a bit starting in the 90s to meet EPA and other laws. I have a 1990 and it's been one of the best bikes I have ever owned, all I have replaced is tires, batteries and a starter. I have ridden it coast to coast, good luck.
  • Sensei
  • Expert Max
  • Thank you received: 56

Re: What is the best year vmax to buy? 3 years 2 months ago #8

Any Gen 11. If you can afford it,order it, 2011. I was too late for the 09, but when I got the call that my faster 2010 RED was in, man their was no other feeling than that. I'm starting to sell my other toys, MAX, has been the best damn thing I have ever been on and owned. Also, this is the best site I have even seen. You can ask more ? here, than your local dealer, they don't have a clue. If you do get one, you will need to buy a few extra rear tires. I'm on my third rear, with only 2600 miles on it. Take care, and WELCOME.. Also, don't move out of Florida, snow sucks, and you will get upset, watching your MAX, sit and wait until spring.
  • HARGER2010MAX
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 778

Re: What is the best year vmax to buy? 3 years 2 months ago #9

Hi Lew,

If you can afford it go with a 2009 or newer. The Gen II handles better, has much better brakes and obviously a lot more power. I owned a 1999 Gen I and now have a 2010 Gen II. I wish I never sold my Gen I but realistically once you ride the Gen II it’s hard to go backwards. I know through the years Yamaha has made minor improvements on the Gen I but I think I would be more concerned about the condition and how well it was maintained rather than just buying the youngest bike you can find.

Good Luck!
  • LA54
  • Junior Max
  • Thank you received: 10

Re: What is the best year vmax to buy? 3 years 2 months ago #10

LA54 wrote:
Hi Lew,

If you can afford it go with a 2009 or newer. The Gen II handles better, has much better brakes and obviously a lot more power. I owned a 1999 Gen I and now have a 2010 Gen II. I wish I never sold my Gen I but realistically once you ride the Gen II it’s hard to go backwards. I know through the years Yamaha has made minor improvements on the Gen I but I think I would be more concerned about the condition and how well it was maintained rather than just buying the youngest bike you can find.

Good Luck!

+ 1.....as they say on the Family Feud....Good Answer!! - Good Answer!! :P
  • itgoes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Max
  • Thank you received: 2938
Mark B

"The Future Is Unwritten"
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook