Monday October 20 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Disclaimer: Any modification made to your motorcycle can potentially void your factory warranty and conflict with local and federal laws. Any such changes should be performed by an experienced and licensed mechanic.
The descriptions provided in here are for entertainment purposes only. www.starVmax.com does not endorse nor recommend do-it-yourself modifications.
Use your own judgement and check with local authorities (e.g. DMV) to determine if you are allowed and capable to perform such tasks. www.starVmax.com cannot be held responsible for any incidents or injuries as a result of any modifications described here.

TOPIC: Just mounted GPS on my VMAX

Just mounted GPS on my VMAX 6 years 3 months ago #1

I know some of you are probably shaking your heads at this, but I tour on my VMAX in additionto the enjoyment I get from zipping around on it when I am not touring. I mounted a Magellan 2200t to my bike and have had good results. The mount is small so when i am not using it, I remove the cradle leaving the small mount base which blends in with the rest of the handlebar landscape. Last month I took it to the Ozarks for a family reunion and I successfully navigated the most backwoods out-of-the-way roads with it. This weekend, I am off to southern Illinois/Kentucky area. Just wondering if anybody else has experimented with this. You cannot hear the voice commands but you get visual prompts on when and where to turn along with mileage to next manuever, overall mileage and the name of the street or exit to turn as well as an arrow pointing direction. I selected this unit because it boasts that it is waterproof which I have doubts about. I don't use it in the rain. It will run 8 hrs on its rechargeable battery so I usually memorize my route until I get off of the Interstates. I then unpack it from my ziplock bag and it shows me the rest of the way. FYI,

CHAS
  • 98VMAX
  • Community List Master
  • Thank you received: 147
AKA: 98VMAX
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Just mounted GPS on my VMAX 6 years 3 months ago #2

Cool, would be intereseted in knowing how far off the speedo is compared to mph of the GPS.

btw, Many helmet communication systems will work with your GPS and then you COULD hear B)
  • Bad_Max
  • Community Accessory Master
  • Thank you received: 833
Lean & Mean it in every corner of your life...
If it wasn't for us the fast lane would rust...
V4'S are music to the seat of my pants...
Get your V-Max ECU Re-Flashed to Full Power!

Re:Just mounted GPS on my VMAX 6 years 3 months ago #3

It never dawned on me to try that, here is a photo of it installed, the unit I selected is a slimline type unit which makes it easy to carry around when not in use.

Chas
Patio_007.jpg
  • 98VMAX
  • Community List Master

Re:Just mounted GPS on my VMAX 6 years 3 months ago #4

Yeah i have a Garmin NUVI 350 about the same size, doubles as mp3 player also :)

NEED to get you a good Com system for your helmet B)
_acom.jpg
  • Bad_Max
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Bad_Max.

Re:Just mounted GPS on my VMAX 6 years 3 months ago #5

That is a cool system, my wife doesn't want the communicators because I think she doesn't want me talking in her head as we go down the road. She is very defiant, she is quite the little maverick. I always compare her to a stubborn little donkey and often make donkey sounds at her when appropriate, as you may have summized, she doesn't always find it funny. How is your unit in the elements?

Chas
  • 98VMAX
  • Community List Master

Re:Just mounted GPS on my VMAX 6 years 3 months ago #6

Oh, I only use it in my Grand Cherokee, but may on the new Max. The Nolan N-Com system is what I really want..

"The N-Com Intercom configuration allows the motorcyclist to speak with his own passenger (both Nolan helmets must have the N-Com attachment and must be equipped with the Basic Kit). The system is also expandable with the Mobile Wire accessory (which allows the connection to the mobile phone) or with the Multimedia Wire accessory. This accessory allows the connection to multimedia sources such as CD players, Mp3, FM Radio etc (equipped with the 3,5 mm stereo output) Satellite Navigators or Bike-to-Bike Communication Radio."

I don't own that system above your post, just using as an example...
  • Bad_Max
Last Edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Bad_Max.
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook