Tuesday September 02 , 2014
Text Size

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Vboost not kicking in

Re:Vboost not kicking in 4 years 10 months ago #11

I hear you, but I don't know if I could to this myself, and my experience at the yamaha dealership, is that the mechanics don't have much experience with the vmax.

I do have a good mechanical knowledge with cars and dirt bikes, but the vmax has been trouble free, and I have never had to work on it. how hard would you rate installing the stage 7 kit?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Vboost not kicking in 4 years 10 months ago #12

If you have worked on dirt bike carbs then you could instal the kit. Most of the instalation can be done with the carbs on the bike. I think the only problem that requires them to be removed is installing the new main jets. There is a plug in the float bowl that will let you access the jet but the carbs really need to be off to get them in.

If you are looking for more power the jet kit is the way to go If you are ok with the way it runs now then I would just wire open the v-boost valves and try it that way until you find the parts needed to fix the boost. I'm guessing you may like the way it runs wired open.
  • maxout
  • Gold Max
  • Thank you received: 295
Maxout1200

09 Yamaha Vmax
03 Honda GL 1800
83 Honda XL 600R
82 Yamaha Maxim 550
71 Honda CT-70(mimi trail)

Re:Vboost not kicking in 4 years 10 months ago #13

VetteVmax wrote:
I hear you, but I don't know if I could to this myself, and my experience at the yamaha dealership, is that the mechanics don't have much experience with the vmax.

I do have a good mechanical knowledge with cars and dirt bikes, but the vmax has been trouble free, and I have never had to work on it. how hard would you rate installing the stage 7 kit?

I installed my stage 7 kit myself but, it wasn't till I took to a good carb guy to synchronize them that, I got it running the way it was supposed to run.
Wish I could recommend someone to you. I also steer clear of the dealerships they usually don't know what they are doing.

Good Luck,
BCDD

Re:Vboost not kicking in 4 years 10 months ago #14

I would sync my carbs manually with them off the bike by watching the butterfly valves move. I could get them very close that way.

If you go on the dynojet website you can find the instalation instruction posted for the Gen 1. That will give you an idea if it is something you want to tackle.
  • maxout
  • Gold Max
Maxout1200

09 Yamaha Vmax
03 Honda GL 1800
83 Honda XL 600R
82 Yamaha Maxim 550
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by maxout.

Re:Vboost not kicking in 4 years 10 months ago #15

the servo was working when I turned on the key, so I was able to unplug the round plug, and wire the valve wide open. Took it for a ride, and what a blast. It is a little sluggish at low rpm, but it is cold today, so maybe that is why. Should be warmer tomorrow, and will take it on a longer ride.

Thanks for all the help.

Re:Vboost not kicking in 3 years 3 months ago #16

Help please,.....I have the same issue but no noise when turning the key. Does this mean the servo motor is goosed? I've tried disconnecting the cables and turning the key - but still nothing. Or could it still be the control unit? The Tech Manual is not much help with the problem diagnosis. Cheers Gents,.
  • tg22213
  • Fresh Max

Re: Vboost not kicking in 3 years 3 months ago #17

Yes it still could be the controller. You need to determine if the motor is getting power to it. You should be able to apply power to the servo motor side of the round plug to determine if the motor is good.

But again I would just wire the valve linkage wide open and take it for a ride. Try it you will like it!
  • maxout
  • Gold Max
Maxout1200

09 Yamaha Vmax
03 Honda GL 1800
83 Honda XL 600R
82 Yamaha Maxim 550

Re: Vboost not kicking in 3 years 3 months ago #18

Any tips on how best to test the server motor? Do I connect the battery direct to the connector? If so which pins? The workshop manual is no assistance in this regard at al .......cheers and thanks again.
  • tg22213
  • Fresh Max

Re: Vboost not kicking in 3 years 3 months ago #19

Well, I checked the Workshop Manual (again) only to find instructions on testing the server motor were on the next page....D'Oh!!

Servo motor was fine.....

Turns out the problem was a dodgy connection between the module and the motor as it worked with a bit of wiggling. Some contact cleaner later and Bob's Yer Uncle.

While I was on I also cleaned the connector for the stator coils as this was getting very HOT!! Which probably explains the occassional battery charging issues.

Thanks for your help Maxout.
  • tg22213
  • Fresh Max
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds

My Account

Sign in with Facebook